Working with Inspiring Communities Together and MadLab we helped to deliver Tech and Tea in Salford. A 2 year program designed to introduce the over 65’s to technology in a relaxed fashion.
During each 5 week (2 hours a week) course our role was not only to teach the learners the basics of getting online and using the internet but to learn about them, and find ways of motivating them to take their use of technology further.
Some of my favourite successes included:
- Getting a gentleman who had nobody to play with playing chess online.
- Helping a lady track her husband who suffered with dementia on Google Maps.
- Teaching countless gardeners how to use a mobile phone to identify plants and flowers.
- Using Google Earth to take people back to the towns they grew up in.
- Getting a bowling club on Twitter.
- Using VR to let a lady with dementia who grew up on a farm experience a tractor ride again.
Many of the learners who took part in the sessions went on to purchase heavily subsided equipment as part of the project and have continued to take their digital journey further.