I’ve been asked on a number of occasions about how people can run WordPress on their local machine, this is handy if you want to develop a site offline or just want to try it out. Normally I’d suggest using MAMP but to be honest if your new to web design and development that can be a little difficult to get your head around.
Recently I discovered Local by Flywheel which offers a much simpler set up.
1. To get started head over to https://localwp.com and hit Free Download.
2. You’ll need to add some personal details, but nothing too onerous.
3. Once downloaded double click on the file to start the installation.
4. Choose which users you want the application to be installed to. Click “Next”.
5. Once installed, click “Create a new site” to start setting up your first WordPress site.
6. Give your site a name and click “Continue”
7. If you don’t have any special requirements which in most cases you wont, just click “Continue”.
8. Set your username, password and email address.
9. Your WordPress website is now set up, you can click “Open Site” in the top right corner to access the site.
10. You now have a clean install of WordPress running on a local webserver that you can use to develop and learn with no internet connection required.